The DeKalb Public Sculpture Project seeks artists for the temporary installation of up to ten (10) works for the first DeKalb Arts, Culture and Entertainment (A.C.E.) Corridor Sculpture Walk.
This wonderful event sponsored by the City of DeKalb, DeKalb Park District, and the DeKalb Area Arts Council will occur in 2017. Works will be juried into the exhibition and installed outdoors within the DeKalb A.C.E. Corridor. A group of seven local jurors will curate the entries.
Online and Print brochures will be provided to encourage self-guided tours of the exhibit.
Sculptures must remain in the exhibit for the duration of the exhibit (August 1, 2017 – June 30, 2018).
2017 CALL FOR ARTISTS
2017 ONLINE APPLICATION
Submission details and criteria:
- Sculpture Walk 2017 is open to all artists 18 years and older from all states.
- All participating artists will receive an honorarium of $1,000.
- Artists may submit proposals for up to three (3) original sculptures or installation works.
- Artists must own the rights to the artwork and the work must be available for the duration of contract.
- All submissions must be of professionally constructed materials.
- Each work must meet the standards of public safety and be of durable design and materials that will withstand the elements.
- Entries will be critiqued on artistic merit and originality.
- There are no size restrictions at present but please be aware that the sculptures will most likely be placed near sidewalks in areas of significant foot traffic and alongside businesses. Locations vary in available space from roughly 10 ft square to 15 ft square.
- The deadline for submissions is: April 21, 2017 at 5:00 PM CDT
Selected artists will be responsible for carrying out of the delivery, installation, and removal of their work of art, working closely with the Sculpture Walk Manager. The committee will not provide use of cranes, boom trucks, generators, etc. but can provide the artist with a list of local sources if needed. Installations may take place on the dates listed in the Project Timeline. Installation times must be coordinated with the Sculpture Walk Manager in advance.
Concrete pads will be preinstalled where the sculptures are to be placed. Artists will secure sculptures to the bases by bolts.
- Call to Artists: March 13, 2017
- Submittals accepted until: April 21, 2017 at 5:00 PM CDT
- Juried selection: May 1, 2017
- Artists notification: June 1, 2017
- Installation Dates: July 1, 2017
- Opening date of exhibition: August 1, 2017
- Last date of exhibit: June 30, 2018
- Art Work Removal: July 1, 2018
Submission Procedure and Checklist:
Complete the online application or, if needed, mail to:
DeKalb Area Arts Council
135 N. 2nd Street
DeKalb, IL 60115